On this day January 25, 1554
São Paulo dos Campos de Piratininga (Saint Paul of the Fields of Piratininga in Portuguese) was the village that grew into São Paulo, Brazil in the region known as Campos de Piratininga.
It was the inland correspondent of São Vicente, founded as a religious Mission and a Jesuit Royal College by priests José de Anchieta and Manuel da Nóbrega in January 25, 1554 (the date of the first mass and the anniversary of Saint Paul‘s conversion).
The village was initially populated by Portuguese colonists and two tribes of the Guainás Amerindians. Later, São Paulo became the origin of the Bandeiras in the great colonial expansion of the 17th century.
In the place of the original modest mud house which was built by the Jesuits in 1554, a much larger and solid building with a church and a seminar was erected in 1653, known as the Pátio do Colégio (Portuguese for School Yard).
After an extensive rebuilding it presents itself in good shape, the oldest building in São Paulo. It houses the Anchieta Museum and a cultural center.