Cumbria shootings

Yesterday a gunman shot 23 people, killing 12 of them, in the county of Cumbria, North West England, United Kingdom.

Western Cumbria

The series of attacks began in mid-morning in Frizington and moved to Whitehaven, Egremont, Gosforth and Seascale, sparking a major manhunt by Cumbria Constabulary.

The gunman, a local taxi driver, was later found dead in a wooded area, having abandoned his vehicle in the village of Boot.

Two weapons that appeared to have been used were recovered. There are 30 different crime scenes being investigated. Police confirmed it was the worst incident of mass shooting in Britain since the Dunblane massacre of 1996.

The incident began in the morning of 2 June 2010, when 52-year-old Derrick Bird, shot dead his twin brother, David Bird, in Lamplugh, followed by the family solicitor, Kevin Commons, in and around Frizington. He then moved on toward Whitehaven.

At 10:35, there was a shooting incident close to the taxi rank in Whitehaven. A lone gunman was believed to have killed a number of people and left many injured. Shortly after 12:30 police confirmed that there had been a number of fatalities in the incident and that they were still searching for a suspect. Residents in the towns of Whitehaven, Egremont and Seascale were urged to stay indoors after shots were heard.

Police announced they were searching for the driver of a dark grey Citroën Xsara Picasso, driven by the suspect identified as Bird. Bird reportedly abandoned his car in the village of Boot and continued to evade the police on foot.

At 14:00, Deputy Chief Constable Stuart Hyde announced that a body believed to be that of Bird was found in a wooded area, along with a firearm. Police confirmed shortly afterwards that members of the public who were previously taking shelter during the incident could now carry on their normal activities.

At 15:00, Prime Minister David Cameron, taking his first session of Prime Minister’s Questions, announced that “at least five” people had died, including the gunman. Later that evening, a police press conference in Whitehaven announced that 12 people had been killed, that a further 11 people were injured, and that the suspect had killed himself. They also confirmed that two weapons had been used by the suspect in the attacks and that thirty different crime scenes were being investigated.


%d bloggers like this: