Tag Archive | al-Qaeda

Wave of bombs in Baghdad

At least 85 people are killed in a series of bombings over two days in Baghdad starting on 23 April, over a two hour time span, a wave of coordinated bombings hit sand blacks leaving Friday prayers, Shiite neighborhoods, and a market.

The attacks were comprised of five car bombs, which accounted for 58 deaths, and approximately 13 bombs in total. A car bomb outside the Abdel Hadi al-Chalabi mosque in Al-Hurriya killed five and wounded 14.

Three bombs, including two car bombs, in the Sadr City district of Baghdad occurred near the headquarters of Shiite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr, where followers gather for morning prayers every Friday. The bombings killed at least 39 and wounded 56 others in Sadr City.

A car bomb and a suicide bomber in the Al-Ameen district in east Baghdad killed 11 worshipers leaving a Shiite mosque after prayers and wounded 23 additional people. Read More…

Advertisements

Wave of bombs in Baghdad kills dozens

Multiple car bombs in Iraq’s capital of Baghdad have killed at least 58 and wounded a further hundred. Some media reports put the death toll as high as 69.

Most of the explosions took place near Shia mosques during prayers; the deadliest attacks, meanwhile, were in Sadr City. There were at least six total bombings, although some reports put the figure as high as thirteen.

Baghdad security spokesman Qassim Moussawi told Reuters news agency the bombings targeted “prayers in areas with a certain majority”, referring to Iraq’s Shia population.

A top official accused al-Qaeda as being responsible for the attacks. Meanwhile, Qassim Moussawi, a security spokesman in the capital, said to Reuters that the blasts were “revenge for the losses suffered by al-Qaeda”, adding that he believed “such terrorist acts” will continue.

Gunmen kill Sunni militias that helped U.S. forces

Iraqi officials say gunmen wearing military uniforms have stormed three houses in a Sunni village near Baghdad, killing at least 24 people.

Police say the victims, including five women, were handcuffed before being shot in the head late Friday in the Arab Jabour area, south of the capital.  At least seven others with their hands bound were found alive after the killings.

Interior Ministry officials put the death toll at 25, while Baghdad’s security spokesman, Major-General Qassim al-Moussawi, said two dozen people were killed. Read More…

Saudi terror plot suspects arrested

According to the Saudi Arabian interior ministry, over 100 people in the country have been arrested on suspicion of links to the al-Qaeda terrorist group.

A statement, which was read read out over television, was released by the government on Wednesday. It said the arrested people were suspected of plotting attacks on security and oil installations. Members from three total cells were seized – 101 from one large cell, and six apiece from two smaller ones. Cameras, computers, and weapons were also confiscated by officials.

The statement reported that, out of the large cell, 51 members were Yemenis and 47 members Saudis; a Bangladeshi, Eritrean, and a Somali comprised the rest of the group. The other cells consisted of eleven Saudis and a Yemeni. Read More…

Suicide bomber at CIA base was al-Qaeda double agent

Media in the United States says a suicide bomber who attacked a Central Intelligence Agency base in eastern Afghanistan last week was a Jordanian working as an al-Qaeda double agent.

The reports say current and former Western intelligence officials identified the suicide bomber as Humam Khalil Abu-Mulal al-Balawi, a 36-year-old physician and al-Qaeda sympathizer from Zarqa, Jordan.

U.S. television network NBC says Jordanian authorities arrested al-Balawi more than a year ago and later recruited him to infiltrate al-Qaeda, believing he had been successfully reformed. Due to his medical background, it is believed his mission was to find and meet Ayman al-Zawahiri, al-Qaeda’s second-in-command. The CIA declined to comment on the reports. Read More…

U.S. and U.K. close Yemen embassies

The United States and the United Kingdom closed their embassies in Yemen Sunday, pointing to ongoing terrorist threats. The closures come after the two nations pledged to boost counter-terrorism support to the Yemeni government.

US Embassy - Sana'a, Yemen

The American embassy’s website said the threats come from al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, the group linked to the failed Christmas Day airplane bombing attempt in the United States.

The message in part said, “The U.S. Embassy in Sana’a is closed today, January 3, 2010, in response to ongoing threats by Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) to attack American interests in Yemen.” Read More…

Al-Qaeda threatens further attacks inside Saudi Arabia

Militant-activist group Al-Qaeda has recently issued new threats to Saudi Arabia of more attacks, incidentally following what appeared to be a suicide bomber’s unsuccessful attempt to kill a Ryadh interior minister last month, Prince Mohammad bin Nayef.

A Middle East-based Al-Qaeda leader by the name of Abu Baseer al-Wuhayshi was heard saying the following on a video posted online: “If you can flee with your skin, then do so. By Allah, they will climb your walls and will come to you from where you do not expect.” Read More…